Sunday, October 3, 2010

First Apples of the Season























Today was the first picking at "Miller's Orchard". One of the many things I love about autumn is picking apples. Three apple trees have gone neglected over the years, but the owners are more than willing to give the apples away if we come pick them. The apple butter, apple pie filling, fried apples, applesauce, apple muffins, and apple cake and fritters these apples will make...I'm already hungry.
Grandma decided to come with us. She supervised as Mom and I picked two bushels. It was chilly so before our excursion was over, Grams was put in charge of keeping our sweatshirts warm. Grams was brave to allow me to drive her "ATV" from the car to the trees. The poor woman had one very bumpy ride!
Mom and I cleaned up the apple mess under the trees. Some apples were just split open, thus they were good for tonight's dinner. Ones that were decent were allowed space in one of the four half-bushel baskets. Some apples had worms. I named one Wormy. Then other apples were hotels hosting ant and spider conventions. Those made excellent apples to lob over the fence into the field. Some apples were just mushy enough, because they'd been on the ground to long, to make excellent applesauce bombs. The deer had nibbled on some as had other other forest creatures. Apples unfit for consumption made for excellent ski ball games. It's amazing how much fun picking apples can be!
In all fairness to Mom, she picked more apples than I did, because I was taking pictures too. Every fall when the bushel and peck baskets come out of storage, I find myself humming this song. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment