Saturday, November 13, 2010

Hike with Dad

Dad took me out on a hike! We followed the river bank around the back side of the cemetery from Mr. Swaney's field to I-29. What a fun time I had with Dad! These soybeans were missed when the field was harvested, but it was fun to pick open a pod. Fall folage is beautiful; I can't seem to get enough shots. For the first time, I'm dreading the bleakness of winter.


Playing around in the woods is fun! Dad is an excellent photographer. Two blanket sweatshirts kept me warm, whether communicating with the grubs or going out on a limb. The Platte has severly eroded the southern bank, so much so, that several trees have come to an untimely demise. The first such tree was not steady enough to climb out on, but the second tree was just perfect! Dirt and a bit of danger don't hamper the fun when going out with Dad. Climbing out on the limb reminded me of Winding River Girl Scout Camp and the log bridge we had to cross. Granted it was a creek and not a river flowing beneath us. The further I ventured out, the more delibrate I became. The last time I took a dip fully clothed was to recertify as a lifeguard. This water was not clorinated, temperature controled, and no telling what the ppm was!






I've always wanted to climb to the top of the under side of an over-pass, or fly over as my Brit friends would say. Ever since I was a child, I have wondered what it looked like up there. Whenever an 18 wheeler would drive over, the bridge would vibrate. I was suprised at how loud it was. The shelf is wide enough to lay down on, but it is still drafty.

The best part of the day was just spending time with Dear Ol' Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment