Right after a snow all the world looks so bright and clean. The sun's reflection off the snow can be almost blinding that sunglasses are a must if you are scooping snow for more than half a driveway. The sand and dirt that was on the sidewalk or driveway discolors the snow. I have been known to be very particular in how I place a scoop of snow on the pile just to hide the hideous brown spots for the glorious white.
That started me wondering just what the Bible said was/is/would be "as white as snow."
- David repents to God, "Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."
- The color the skin turned with leprosy
- Daniel declares that God's garment are as white as snow.
- Matthew recounts the angel, that gave guided tours of the empty tomb, was wearing garments as white as snow.
- Christ's head and hair were as white as snow.
Word Study:
On good days, I speak and comprehend one language: English. Many of the ideas, play on words, and the rich vocabulary of the Bible I miss out on because I do not read/speak Hebrew & Greek or understand the culture. Because the English equivalent word may not carry the same nuance, it can be important to study individual words sometimes. This is just my study using Strong's and Blue Letter Bible.
- When white as snow is mentioned with leprosy, the only Hebrew word used is sheleg (7950) meaning snow.
- When the phrase white as snow or whiter than snow is used referring to sin two words are used. Laben (3835 verb Hebrew) means to be white, to make white, become white, purify: to show whiteness, grow white.
- Chivvar (2358) is the Aramaic equivalent of the color white.
- Leukos (3022) is the term Matthew, Mark, and John use to describe white. This Greek term means light, bright brilliant, brilliant from whiteness, dazzling white.
- Chion (5510) is the Greek word for snow.
- Daniel used the Aramaic word telag (8517) meaning snow.
This song comes to mind with all the white stuff we have hanging around everywhere. Enjoy.
White As Snow
by Leslie Ludy
Alone and confused, your heart is bruised from sin
Your joy is gone from love gone wrong
And you're trying to start again
I know you've been hurt, and you don't know who to trust
I wont pretend I understand your pain
But I can see repentance in your eyes
And I know its not too late
I hear Him calling your name
White as snow, He has made you white as snow
The moment you confessed, His heart forgave
You might think you've ruined all the plans He had for you
But it's for that very reason Jesus saves
White as snow, He has made you white as snow
Pure and innocent like a dove
Though you have done nothing to deserve His pardoning
You've been purified by Jesus blood
White as snow
The guilt and the shame, it's keeping you chained
Not wanting to let you go
Its not how you dreamed, not how you planned
And you can't see that still there is hope
Receive His healing for your bruises
Receive His riches for your rags
You cannot imagine all the plans He has for you
So take His hand, and don't look back.
Isaiah 1.18
Psalm 51.7
Daniel 7.9
Revelation 1:14
Exodus 34:29-36
One, two, three; why did you tell me?
ReplyDeleteFour...pondered more...
Five, six, seven; no perfection this side of heaven.
Eight, nine, ten; I wish I could go back and post it then.
~tGbtg.kem