"Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy. He who continually goes forth weeping, bearing seed for sowing, shall doubtless come again with Rejoicing, bring his sheaves with him."
~Psalm 126:5-6
Reading sermons and devotions has a distinct advantage over listening to them: rereading. Unless a sermon has been prerecorded and one holds the remote, there is no way to pause the pastor or press the rewind button to hear again that bit of wisdom.
I was reading several blog posts on fear and found this quote from John Piper's Talking to Your Tears devotional. Never had I pondered that the tearful sower was maybe just doing his job of sowing in spite of some sorrow or sadness he felt. Piper's words have given me much to think about.
So here’s the lesson: When there are simple, straightforward jobs to be done, and you are full of sadness, and tears are flowing easily, go ahead and do the jobs with tears. Be realistic. Say to your tears: ‘Tears, I feel you. You make me want to quit life. But there is a field to be sown (dishes to be washed, car to be fixed, sermon to be written). I know you will wet my face several times today, but I have work to do and you will just have to go with me. I intend to take the bag of seeds and sow. If you come along then you will just have to wet the rows.”
Then say, on the basis of God’s word, ‘Tears, I know that you will not stay forever. The very fact that I just do my work (tears and all) will in the end bring a harvest of blessing. So go ahead and flow if you must. But I believe (I do not yet see it or feel it fully)—I believe that the simple work of my sowing will bring sheaves of harvest. And your tears will be turned to joy.”Not only tears, but I think this can be applied to fears also. God is omniscience and has promised that He will work all things together for good to those who love Him who are called according to His purpose. He can bring beauty from ashes. For all that to happen, one must first step out in faith, believing and obey. Let's take the next step as we look forward to rejoicing as we bring in the sheaves!
GirlTalk is doing a series on Fear. Please take time to check out these posts, they have helped me put many of my thoughts...ahh...fears into perspective. Nicole Whitacre stated, "We fight fear, not only with prayer and promises, but with action that declares to God and everyone else: 'I will not let this fear dictate my life.'" Today, I'm taking my cue from Mrs. P31 and laughing at the future because I'm trusting He has it under control and will show me the next step He wants me to take.
Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment my moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, guidance, are given.
Fear not tomorrows, Child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, ‘DO THE NEXT THING.’
Do it immediately; do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His Hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe ’neath His wing,
Leave all resultings, ‘DO THE NEXT THING.'
~author unknown
O Lord, I know the way of man is not in himself; it is not in man who walks to direct his own steps. ~Jeremiah 10.23

No comments:
Post a Comment