Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?
~Job 2.10~



Catastrophe, hard times, calamity, heartbreak, dispare...the term by which one defines their struggles, in the end, does not matter. Difficult is difficult no matter the synonym. During times of adversity, it is perplexing to realize that a loving Father would script this or that into the life of His own child.  God is sovereign. I believe this with all of my heart, but I struggle with it too. Yet, when I looked back, I have been able to find good things that were hidden from my eyes at the time. Jen, a friend from college days, stated, "God doesn't always take away the trial but gives blessings and grace through them."  This week I want to focus on the blessings I have found in adversity.

I'm thankful...

...that trials have caused me to pray more specifically and dilligently
...that my prayer life has grown
...that I have seen God working
...that I know all things work together for good...
...that God is using situations to draw me to depend totally on Him
...that God carries me
...that He can and will restore...
...that He holds me
...that God loves unconditionally
...that God holds on when I let go
...that God forgives
...for the doors that have opened...
...for wise, Godly counsel
...for the many uplifting blogs, books, and biographies
...for the realization that "this too shall pass"
...for the friends He has given me
...for a loving family
...for the lessons I've learned
...for the emphathy I can give another
...that there is a peace that transcends all human understanding
...that God invites us to cast all of our cares upon him
...that God listens 24/7 365 
...for God's promises
...that He loves me too much to allow me to be successful at my sin
...that Jesus understands because He was tempted in all ways, but did not sin
...that God does answer prayer
...that He knows the future
...that I can let go and God will...

This list could go on and on. While I would not pray for trials, or say Lord bring on the storms: I know that He will be there.  The sweetest times of fellowship with Him have been at the lowest times of my life. Just writing this has lifted my heart. In everything there is something to be thankful for, I just have to look diligently. Please don't think I'm good, for there is no good in me.  Any goodness you see is a reflection of my Savior. I strive (and fail often!) to be more like Him.  It has been through trials that I have grown  more like Him.



Check out Becoming A Strong Woman of God for more about Thankful Thursdays and other bloggers lists of blessings.

What are you thankful for?

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing list girl!! God is good when we take the time out to see them!! Thanks for linking up hope your weekend was blessed Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to add to the list...

    I'm thankful...

    ...that He does more than I could ever imagine.
    ...that He cares for the little things
    ...that He gives extra grace and mercy
    ...that He is not vindictive
    ...that He shows me how to love

    ReplyDelete