"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer." ~Psalm 19.14
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Sermon Title: Let Him Kiss Me
Listening to sermons Monday-Saturday is just in my genes. My great-grandmother used to listen to the radio all the time and then call my mother to tell her about the sermons and programs she'd heard. On several occasions, Mom was late picking us kids up from school because she had been "Focusing" to much! Now both of my sisters also listen to Christian radio and recommend various sermons. However, I'm different! I prefer to read the sermons. Transcripts make it easier for me to comprehend.
Sometimes it takes reading a sentence or paragraph three or four times for it to sink into my mind (that might just be because I'm hard headed). Plus it is easier to copy something down in my notes, rather than rewinding. I'm looking forward to reading his series on the gospel of Luke. But right now I've found another series that has in the introduction answered many questions for me.
Even though I'm 32, I still love stories...love stories! The kind that have a good ending, where the bad guy looses, the good guy wins (and gets the girl), where wrong is righted, and life is better for the struggle. It might have been titled Cinderella when I was younger, Ever After when I was a teen, and now listening to my friends recount their personal stories; a good love story is made up of the same over arching themes. While certain verses, chapters, and books are seldom mentioned let alone taught on Sunday morning, Mark Driscoll has tackled the Song of Solomon in his series The Peasant Princess.
If only I had read the introductory sermon "Let Him Kiss Me" a year ago, I would have been a much better friend. This is as relevant to men as it is to the women. While I enjoyed hearing one of my favorite verses talked about, it was really some of the comments in the Q&A after the sermon that helped me the most. This couple did handle well the situations they found in life. Wow, I can't wait to finish reading this sermon series!! How many pastors do you know ask married couples (AND ONLY MARRIED FOLKS) to practice SOS 1.2 in church?
I realize Mark Driscoll is not a five point Calvinist and I have not done a thorough study on all his doctrine. What I have read and heard so far I have found to be Biblical.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hmm...Mark does not go in depth like Tommy Nelson does in his series on the Song of Solomon. The sermons seem to be written to a younger audience. If you are looking for scholarly work, this would not be the series. It is however nice to read a preacher from my generation holding forth traditional values.
ReplyDelete