Sunday, December 12, 2010

12-11-10...

In honor of today's date, I thought I'd post The Twelve Days of Christmas.  Whether it be true that this carol was written by persecuted Catholics in 1600's or just an urban legend is something I leave to you to discern. I choose to associate each of the twelve gifts as symbols of Christian beliefs. Then there is something more substantial to ponder during an otherwise, rather long, nonsensical carol. That generous benefactor who gave with abandonment, "my true love," I believe to be a reference to God Almighty.  Several of the gifts could symbolize different tenets.  Each year, it is fun to think up new reasons for why each of the numbered objects represents well the hidden meaning or find another Christian fact that might fit the song.
My favorite would be the gift given on the first day--a partridge in a pear tree. A partridge is willing to defend and die if necessary to protect its young. The bird's willingness to die makes it an excellent picture of Christ. Christmas would hold no significance without the cross and resurrection.  It boggles my mind, that God would send His Son to Earth, to die for me, for you, for all His elect. That's a love I cannot comprehend.

Twelve drummers drumming...twelve tribes of Israel/twelve beliefs in the Apostle's Creed/twelve gates of heaven
Eleven pipers piping...eleven original apostles that remained true to Jesus
Ten lords a-leaping...Ten Commandments
Nine ladies dancing...nine character qualities listed as the fruit of the Spirit.
Eight maids a-milking...eight Beatitudes
Seven swans a-swimming...seven gifts of the Holy Spirit
Six geese a-laying...six days of creation (God rested on the seventh.)
Five golden rings...five books of the Pentateuch
Four calling birds...four Gospel accounts
Three French hens...three gifts given to Jesus by the Magi: gold, frankincense, and myrrh/Faith, Hope, Love/three Persons of the Trinity.
Two turtledoves... two testaments of the Bible/ the Old and New Covenant/ceremonial sacrifice given at the temple forty days after Christ's birth.
A partridge in a pear tree...Christ dying on the cross

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this story and song on the perfect day! I have just love this story of the song ever since you brought the story home!! If it is legend, it is probably the best legend I have ever heard!!

    ReplyDelete