After morning recess, I switch classrooms with the fifth grade teacher. He teaches my scholars math, while I have the privilege of doing Shurley English with the fifth graders. This is the one time in my day when I am not constiently reminding myself that I am not teaching fifth graders, but fourth graders. It really causes my fourth graders angst when I call them fifth graders by mistake. Such literal creatures they are! Walking into the fifth grader's world, I always say, "Good morning, Fifth Grade!" Which they parrot back, "Good morning, Miss Miller."
Only some use Mrs. instead of Miss. While I am single, I want to enjoy being called Miss Miller. So I remind these scholars that I do not have two bands of gold around my third finger usually holding up my bare left hand. This class of fifth graders is a bright class, full of talented artists, and they excel at having fun. I smiled all day Friday because of their stunt.
One girl handed me a picture when I came in the room. Several boys had said Mrs. instead of Miss, looking back I see they had this all planned out. The drawing was a man with an arrow pointing from his name to his effige. The name was "Mr. Miller". In his hand, he was holding a ring.
Smiling I laughed, "Oh, fifth graders, before I take this man's name I have to have two rings: a diamond solitare and a band of gold. So you all think I am going to do what my mother did. She was a Miller and married a guy with the last name of Miller."
So the girl took back her picture and drew two more rings. In their eyes, I was officially married to Mr. Miller and they could call me Mrs. Miller. Hmm....
So whoever this Mr. Miller is my expectation is now higher. It's three rings, not just two, I'm expecting. :)
Most of my kiddos come from divorced homes. Mom has a boyfriend. Dad is living 100 miles away with two other siblings. Just as they are on the brink of puberty, I want them to see another way, an old path that can lead to lasting happiness. Marriage does not have to end in divorce!
The icing on the cake was telling my fourth graders what the fifth graders had done. Then, my "Peter", blurted out, "Do you have a boyfriend Miss Miller? " I so wished I had not tabled that question in light of getting a spelling pretest completed. What a perfect opening to tell them about waiting on God to write your love story. Pete won't let this conversation say on ice long. I choose to fear God instead of parents and a principal.
Ha! In the pastorial interview, I was assured that doctrinal issues would not come up in fourth grade, hmm...life situations come up in fourth grade daily. This Calvinist must act on the belief that God is in all things sovereign.
So "Mr. Miller", I'm waiting for you alone!! However, I'm teaching our children how to play hide and seek! :) He who FINDS a wife...it's time for you to SEEK me out! :) And in God's time...you will find me. Know I'm praying for you! If you want to rejoice with the wife of YOUR YOUTH, don't tarry too long...
Faithfully ~ Miss Kathleen Elizabeth Miller
Wonderful to hear about how God is teaching kids about marriage (and God's Sovereignty) through your life.
ReplyDelete"I was assured that doctrinal issues would not come up in fourth grade, hmm...life situations come up in fourth grade daily." Awesome! :)